I can’t get enough of this creamy cauliflower mash! It’s the perfect comforting side dish! Pair it with meat, some green and colourful veggies and you’ve got a filling and nutritious low carb, gluten free dish.
Cauliflower mash is also mild enough to be able to take on whatever flavours would match with the rest of your meal. I like to add in fresh herbs, roasted garlic, lemon zest or even a drizzle of truffle oil to take this to the next level!
Start by washing and chopping a whole cauliflower into florets (florets are the little “trees” in cauliflower and broccoli). You want your pieces to be roughly the same size so they cook evenly, so chop some of the larger chunks in half if needed.
Place a steamer into a medium sized pot and fill the pot with just enough water so that it just touches the bottom of the steamer. Add in your cauliflower and turn your stovetop to a medium-high heat.
Bring the water to the boil and steam until the cauliflower is cooked through (about 30 minutes all up). To check if the cauliflower is cooked through, poke a fork into the stalk of one of the largest pieces of cauliflower. If it easily goes all the way through it is done.
Now to get this mash nice and creamy you will need either a stick-blender or a food processor. Drain the water from your pot and use tongs to remove the steamer. Use the same pot as your bowl to mash the cauliflower in or transfer the cauliflower to a food processor.
Add in a generous pinch of sea salt flakes and your good fat of choice. I prefer grass-fed butter or ghee but you can also use a good extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, avocado or macadamia oil. Blend the cauliflower and fat together until smooth (check for no lumps!).
And that’s it! Serve your delightful cauliflower mash with whatever you desire! Top it with gravy, fresh herbs, an extra curl of butter, drizzle of olive oil, pepper or salt to taste. Share your ideas in the comments below 🙂
Creamy Cauliflower Mash
- Wash and chop your head of cauliflower into evenly sized pieces
- Place a steamer into a medium sized pot and fill the pot with just enough water so that it just touches the bottom of the steamer. Add in your cauliflower and turn your stovetop to a medium-high heat.
- Bring the water to the boil and steam until the cauliflower is cooked through (about 30 minutes all up). To check if the cauliflower is cooked through, poke a fork into the stalk of one of the largest pieces of cauliflower. If it easily goes all the way through it is done.
- Take the cauliflower off the heat. Drain the water from the pot and remove the steamer.
- Add in the salt and your healthy fat of choice – butter, ghee, extra virgin olive oil or any other you may like
- Use a stick blender or a food processor to blend the cauliflower until smooth
For a different flavour provide try adding in fresh herbs, roasted garlic, lemon / orange zest, or even a drizzle of truffle oil.
Serving Size 1 cup
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 2.3 g
Saturated Fat 1.5 g
Cholesterol 6 mg
Sodium 261 mg
Total Carbohydrates 2 g
Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
Sugars 0.8 g
Protein 0.8 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Recommended Recipe Products
Use Promo Code WELCOME5 to receive $5 off your first order with iHerb! For healthy (gluten-free, paleo, primal, organic) groceries at affordable prices shipped WORLDWIDE click here!